Movie Review: Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name)

Monday, December 12, 2016

Hello guys! I'm back with another review but not a series anime this time, it's a movie -ehem- anime movie, to be exact. Meh, who cares either way? I gonna put this in both movie and anime tags anyway. I finished watching the movie today (despite how busy I am preparing for final exam oh god I keep procrastinating I need help) so I decide to put up the review tonight. I probably forget to do this anyway if I halt it for few days, or weeks. So here it is! Kimi no Na Wa! I actually didn't plan any movie watching today, or any other day. But since everyone were talking about Kimi no Na Wa being blockbuster movie in Japan and also a very good one, I decided to watch it today. Though I already downloaded the movie in one month ago, I don't really have the time to watch it.

(THERE WILL BE LOTS OF SPOILERS! I DID WARN YOU SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!)

Mitsuha Miyamizu, a high school girl, yearns to live the life of a boy in the bustling city of Tokyo—a dream that stands in stark contrast to her present life in the countryside. Meanwhile in the city, Taki Tachibana lives a busy life as a high school student while juggling his part-time job and hopes for a future in architecture.

One day, Mitsuha awakens in a room that is not her own and suddenly finds herself living the dream life in Tokyo—but in Taki's body! Elsewhere, Taki finds himself living Mitsuha's life in the humble countryside. In pursuit of an answer to this strange phenomenon, they begin to search for one another. - myanimelist

Rating: 5/5

The story plot is really interesting despite the body swapping typical kind of plot but Kimi no Na Wa gives a very different vibe to it. The fate of Mitsuha, a girl from countryside and Taki, a boy from the city of Tokyo clashed with each other when they wake up in the morning only to found out their body has swapped. Even so, they changed to their normal self back again the next day but left with no memories of the previous event. Sounds interesting, right? At the first part of the movie, I was left hanging with confusion all over the place because Mitsuha woke up like her usual self but her friends mentioned about how weird her she behave yesterday. But when it comes to Taki part, his body was taken over by Mitsuha! Then it hit me right at the time that, it probably the first day when Mitsuha switched her soul with Taki and Taki being Mitsuha at the moment. 


There were lots of strange things around them when Taki and Mitsuha were body swapped that they had to write a reminder on their phones to tell the person what they were doing that day, what they should do's and don't's...until one day, their body swapping had eventually stop. I begin to worried at this part, I was like... what happen? Why did they stop swapping? Little that I know, the real thing is just getting started.

Taki, being the curious boy he was, goes for the search of Mitsuha with the only clue he had: his drawings of Itomori where Mitsuha currently. Oh did I mentioned that, he completely forgotten her name? Yes, the rest of the movie was like remembering Taki and Mitsuha name for like...2 hours. They keep forgetting each other name to the point that made me yell their names in front the screen. Too bad my roommates were presence at the moment and limiting my fangirling mode. Okay back to where I was, so Taki and his another two friends, a school friend and a senpai of from his work, went together to search for Mitsuha, only to discover the Itomori town is no longer exist on the map. I was like...WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPEN?! And the mystery unravel why Itomori has no longer exist; the meteor attack 3 years ago has wiped out the entire town at the night of Autumn Festival and nearly 500 people died.

It's really unbelievable but yes, Mitsuha died 3 years ago from the meteor attack (do we say attack? I don't know what other words are more suitable) BUT WAIT! The story didn't end there, Taki later continue his journey to search that he believed Mitsuha is still alive (yeah you go man!) and ended up at some place? I don't remember but it's like a crater, or a mountain and there's a shrine in the middle of it. Hoping for the time to turn back to 3 years ago, Taki once again swapped his body with Mitsuha from 3 years ago to save everyone from the meteor attack.


Did they actually reunited? Yes! And it's the most heartbreaking scene in the history of all sad anime I have watched. Taki and Mitsuha meet at the mountain where Taki had gone to when he was searching for her. They couldn't see each other but could feel each other's presence AND YESH RIGHT IN THE FEELS! At that time, I already wailing and making lots of whale sounds because WHY THEY CANNOT SEE EACH OTHER GODDAMN IT!
SEE THIS?! I'M CRYING
They finally met at the crater of Itomori

When the sun goes down, they both said "Twilight" and POOF! They can see each other! THEY FINALLY SAW EACH OTHER AND I WAS CRYING AGAIN. And before they could even write their names on each other palm, then suddenly Mitsuha disappear and Taki is back to his normal self and forget her name again. Same goes to Mitsuha who later discover what was written on her palm and I swear this scene make me wanted to bang my head so hard on the table because it's fucking sad WHYYYYYYY. 

And that goes until 8 years later, Taki and Mitsuha are both adult and still searching for each other. The moment when they met, I feel like "PLEASE REMEMBER HER/HIM" but nope, he didn't remember her nor did she, but they actually reunited again and it makes me happy. My presumption of the ending that Taki and Mitsuha are starting anew with their relationship as an adult. It's a bittersweet ending and I'm really satisfied with it. But that part why they switched souls in the first place is still remain mystery to me. Does it have anything to do with the meteor attack 3 years ago?



The soundtracks of the movie are also amazing! I'm going to download it later and yeah it have been stuck in my head for a few hours now.

My favorite quotes from the movie would be:

"I was always searching...searching...for someone" - Tachibana Taki
 "Mitsuha. Mitsuha. Mitsuha. Your name is Mitsuha." - Tachibana Taki 
- Mitsuha's grandmother

So that's the end of my review. There's a lot of spoilers, right? Hahaha. There's a lot more part that I didn't mention in this review and I don't want to spoil you all with it. Just the watch the movie, okay? Once you watch, you will never forget. I really recommend this movie to anyone, whether you like anime or not, please watch it. I promise you won't regret it. For those who have watched the movie, mind if you can share your opinion in the comment section? I would like to see other people point of view too! 


You Might Also Like

1 Comment(s)

  1. "But that part why they switched souls in the first place is still remain mystery to me. Does it have anything to do with the meteor attack 3 years ago?"

    Same gurl! I was confused for that part too. Why did the switching bodies happen to them and not anyone else? Hmmm

    ReplyDelete

ありがとございました!